What is “Turnaround”?
Turnaround, also known as flipping, is a type of BDSM scene that involves the reversal of roles. It can be done during normal D/s play by switches or as part of a pre-determined roleplay.
The practice of Turnaround is popular with Switches and some Omniviants. A Switch is an individual who can alternate between being a Top and a bottom. On the other hand, an Omniviant can play both the Top and the bottom at any one given time.
The reversal of roles is often the result of a certain scenario in which the submissive gains control and authority over the dominant. The timing of the turnaround can be agreed upon beforehand, or as a result of natural play and reactions during a scene.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- In a bondage play, Turnaround can occur if the captive escaped from bondage the subjugated the captor. The Turnaround may flip the balance of power between the Top and bottom. The original captor becomes the submissive while the original captive becomes the captor.
- In a Master/slave relationship, the slave can break free from the control of the Master and seeks revenge. The ‘freed’ slave can force the ‘enslaved’ Master to experience everything that has been done to them. It is also possible that torture and humiliation will be worse than what has been previously experienced by the freed slave.
- In a torture scene, the submissive may revolt or fight back against the dominant. A turnaround can occur if the submissive becomes the torturer while the dominant becomes the one being tortured.
- It is also possible to have a third-party intervening in a Turnaround scene. The outsider may help the submissive escape then help capture the captor. The outsider and the submissive can either end the scene by escaping or subject the original captor to bondage and torture.
- The outsider may also choose to subjugate the dominant and keep both the submissive and dominant as captive. The outsider then becomes the dominant while the original dominant turns into a submissive along with the original submissive.
- A turnaround is a form of consensual non-consent. The scenarios are planned and prepared beforehand. The act of escaping and revenge creates an illusion that the scene is authentic and real.
- Before engaging in a Turnaround, all parties involved engage in negotiations. A set of rules and limits, as well as a safeword and action, to immediately end the scene are agreed-upon before the scene.
Related Fetishes and Practices
Turnaround is closely related to Role Reversal plays. It can be combined with other Role-playing scenes that have some elements of Power Exchange.