What is Suspension?
Suspension is a type of bondage in which an individual is tied on one or more overhead suspension points and then lifted up from the ground. It is considered to be the most dangerous type of sexual bondage.
Suspension bondage is mostly done as part of a performance or show. It is mostly carried out by professional or experienced riggers. There are two forms of Suspension Bondage. A Partial Suspension features a victim that is ‘partially’ hang. This means some parts of the victim’s body remains on the ground. A common method of Partial Suspension is having the victim balance on one foot while some of their weight supported by a harness worn in the chest and/or the other leg. On the other hand, a Full Suspension is making the victim completely suspended in the air with no contact with the ground. The full weight of the victim is supported by suspension ropes, chains or cables attached throughout the body.
There are three different variations of Full Suspension depending on the position of the victim. Vertical Suspension involves the victim being lifted by their wrists. The wrists can be tied together or spread apart. It can also be done using a bondage rope harness tied around the body, particularly around the upper arms and upper legs.
Horizontal Suspension features a victim being lifted from the ground in a horizontal position with the body either facing up or down. The victim is lifted by their wrists and legs. Several Bondage positions like Hogtie and Balltie are often used to distribute the weight across the body, decreasing the strain on the wrists and ankles.
Inverted Suspension is usually done with the ankles bearing the full weight of the body. A bondage rope harness may be used in the upper leg to lessen the pressure in the ankles. The legs may be bound together or spread apart.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Vertical Suspension and Horizontal Suspension is often done in combination with Body Worship or Torture for additional stimulation.
- Inverted Suspension is mostly used on its own because of its inherent risk.
- The upside-down position can cause the blood to rush to the head and make a person blackout.
- Additional stimulation or torture can make the heart to pump faster, making the blood to flow faster to the head.
- Suspension Bondage is very dangerous and potentially life-threatening.
- There is always the risk of falling.
- Additionally, the wrists and ankles are not designed to bear the full weight of the body.
- Improper bounding or thin restrain may lead to laceration, deep cuts and dislocation.
- It is important to note that this Bondage position is reserved only for professionals and experienced practitioners.
Related Fetishes and Practices
Suspension Bondage is often used in BDSM scenes like Interrogation Scene, Sadomasochism Torture, Master/slave Training, and Disciplining plays. It can also be used for Genital Worship, Punching, Whipping, Spanking, Caning, Slapping and other forms or Rough Play.