What is Subspace?
Subspace is a mental state wherein a submissive sinks into a different level of consciousness. This is usually brought about by periods of high pleasure, pain, or stress. When submissives enter subspace they may have trouble controlling their speech, movement, and seem otherwise detached from reality. This is generally considered the epitome of a cathartic experience during BDSM play.
Psychologically, the mind of the submissive is altered because of the extreme pleasure, pain, or positive stress caused by an interaction with the dominant partner. The rush of endorphins and epinephrines produce an ecstatic sensation, getting rid of the pain. This usually transports the submissive to an altered mental state that can last anywhere from seconds to many minutes. It is similar to a psychedelic or hallucinogenic state brought about by drugs.
Being in subspace can be considered healing or cathartic for the submissive and if often the goal or an indicator of a successful scene. Achieving or reaching a level of sensory input and or connection to a dominant that they truly crave. Sometimes a submissive entering subspace is a way for them to maintain a persona or headspace during a scene, this is usually by choice rather than a chemical response. Other times it is involuntary and a byproduct of an intense climax of pain or pleasure and signifies the end of a scene.
Subspace is not generally considered a voluntary state of mind, though it can be. This is especially true for animal transformation or age play practitioners. Otherwise, one sinks into or is forced into it during extreme moments of play.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- It is not possible for the submissive to logically make decisions while he/she is in subspace.
- When a submissive experiences pain that is carried out by the dominant, he/she may become disassociated that instead of using the established safeword, he/she steps out of his/her body, fighting endorphins and hormones.
- Knowing your submissive and paying attention to them and their state is paramount.
- Proper aftercare is absolutely required once someone has entered and is coming down from a subspace experience.
- Like any intense activity, proper hydration, food intake, physical, and mental care should be administered depending on the situation.
Related Practices and Fetishes
There are no directly relatable fetishes or BDSM experiences that tie into subspace. Squirting or female ejaculation may occur from extreme orgasms that will propel a submissive into subspace. Knowing proper aftercare will ensure a sub that enters and comes down from subspace is taken care of.