What is Sound Fetish?
Sound fetish is sexual gratification derived from auditory stimuli. This could include voices, accents, music, general sounds heard from anywhere, or even the narration of sexual experiences. Sound fetish is also called acousticophilia.
The first official literature on the existence of the sound fetish is found in a study from 1968 by an Australian Psychologist named Dr. F.M. Mai entitled, “A New Psychosexual Syndrome – Ecouteurism.” In his study, he explored the concerns of a man who gets sexually aroused by the sounds women produced in toilets. With it came the discovery of ‘ecoteursim’. Ecoteurism is defined as a psychosexual disorder wherein sexual pleasure and arousal is derived from listening to other people’s sexual encounters or sound produced during live or recorded sexual intercourse. In a way, it is the auditory counterpart of voyeurism.
Albeit being considered as a syndrome developed in the person’s psyche, having a sound fetish does not necessarily mean one is psychologically ill. There are other diagnostic criteria that need to be checked for the fetish to be considered as a disorder.
The focus of the sound fetish is the auditory stimuli. Therefore, to satisfy this desire, those interested in this fetish prefer to use their sense of hearing to further their excitement. The other practices and fetishes that can feed this desire are erotic talk, phone sex, jerk off instruction (JOI) or assisted masturbation, and BDSM.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Erotic talk (also known as dirty talk) uses explicit word imagery to raise excitement during sex or foreplay.
- It is a popular practice during phone sex and cybersex wherein descriptions of what a person wants to do or be done to them are heavily narrated.
- In relation to sound fetish, erotic talk is highly effective especially if the participants enjoy the sound of the voice or the accent of their partner.
- Accent kink can be satisfied by this as well.
- A person’s sound fetish may be entertained through phone sex or erotic talk done through calls.
- In this activity, a person explicitly depicts the desires or actions they want to do or be done to them. In addition, through this, JOI for men can be practiced as well.
- Those who like hearing the sounds of their partner masturbating can satisfy the desire through this. The activity is called “assisted masturbation”.
- JOI and assisted masturbation are done by instructing the partner to pleasure themselves.
- Lastly, in relation to BDSM, the sounds of skin slapping or being whipped may be a source of arousal as well.
- In some cases, the sound fetish can be fed by the sound of chains, leather, or other materials often used in BDSM practices.