What is Sensory Deprivation?
Sensory deprivation is a kind of sensation play. In the BDSM lifestyle, sensory deprivation means depriving an individual, usually the submissive, of specific senses. This sexual practice results in an intensely erotic experience.
In a BDSM activity involving sensory deprivation, psychological manipulation may take place because of the submissive’s awareness of the things happening around is decreased.
Sensory deprivation gives full control to the dominant when it comes to the situation awareness of the submissive. The submissive usually feel helpless and vulnerable because he/she simply accepts whatever the dominant wants him/her to experience.
There are a number of reasons why an individual might want to try sensory deprivation.
Power is the main driver for the dominant when it comes to sensory deprivation. This sexual practice creates a deliberate power imbalance between the dominant and the submissive mainly because the dominant takes control of the whole situation. The dominant can use sensory deprivation to feel more in control and powerful.
Some submissives perceive objectification as an important part of sensory deprivation. What really happens is the dominant treats the submissive less like a human. Objectification usually changes the perceived value of the submissive while under the control of the dominant who decides when the changes in the value of the submissive occur.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Sensory deprivation is a common practice of the BDSM lifestyle.
- This sexual activity normally deprives an individual of one or two senses just so he/she can focus on other senses. The five main senses are sight, touch, smell, hearing, and taste.
- In the BDSM setting, it is essential for the dominant, the one who is in control, to always take responsibility.
- Any form of sensory information that is fed to the submissive, or the one who is deprived, most of his/her senses will be more sensitive to every move or touch of the dominant.
- When performing sensory deprivation under the BDSM play, it is essential to keep safety in mind.
- Anyone who is lost to the sensation usually cannot make sense of what he/she is feeling.
- Always remember though that the dominant closely watches and is in control.
Related Practices and Fetishes
Some activities that manipulate the five senses do not just result in the stimulation but also create fresh experiences for the senses. Using pain stimulation such as spanking and nipple clamps is typically referred to as sadomasochism or S&M. One of the most popular when it comes to stimulating the senses is a vibrator that induces the feeling of pleasure.