What is a Rope?
Ropes are thick strands of fiber, cloth, or other material woven together. A rope is used in many types of bondage in BDSM, Shibari, and Kinbaku.
Ropes are used for many things outside of BDSM, bondage, and fetish play. They have been one of the most important tools for man throughout history. Prior to the invention of metal shackles, cuffs, and fetters they were the primary restraint used on prisoners and captives. This naturally translated into their use for bondage. The Japanese further advanced the art of rope bondage with Shibari and Kinbaku styles. The former being more artful, while the latter is more concerned with restricting movement.
Rope bondage is by far the most familiar and recognizable form of practice in BDSM. The B in BDSM stands for bondage. Outside of bondage itself, a rope can be used in the creation of outfits and harnesses. It is common to see a submissive at a party, dungeon, or event in an outfit made entirely of rope.
There are many different kinds of rope available for bondage and everyday use. The most common kinds found in BDSM and rope bondage are jute, nylon, synthetic, and cotton. Many bondage practitioners have a preference for both material and lay [how tightly a rope is woven]. Experimenting with different kinds for different purposes is recommended.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- When using a rope during the BDSM play, it is highly advised to ensure that the ropes are not too tight to avoid cutting off blood circulation on the skin of the submissive.
- Different kinds of ropes can cause skin irritation or allergic reactions.
- It is also important to know the tensile strength of the rope.
- If engaging in suspension-play and rope collapses or breaks, it could result in injury.
- When engaging in rope bondage it is imperative one has EMT shears, scissors, or a hook knife to cut a submissive loose.
- The need to cut someone loose could arise from the loss of blood flow, panic, or extreme pain.
Related Practices and Fetishes
Ropes are used in standard, Shibari, Kinbaku, and suspension bondage. A rope is also a common piece of BDSM gear that can be tied to rings and accessories that are worn by a person.