What is Puppy Play?
Puppy play is a subset of the BDSM culture and Pet Play where at least one participant plays the role and embodies the mentality of a canine. Dog shaped masks, leashes, collars, kennels, and obedience training are all common themes used to enact puppy play scenes or scenarios.
Puppy Play focuses around a primal head-space, generally considered to be an adjusted state of consciousness in order to “lose yourself” in a BDSM scene. In this headspace, mostly referred to as “Pup Space,” one can act or do things they may not otherwise be able to in human form. This is no different than a person who may normally be dominant or in charge during their everyday life, who then assumes the role and mindset of a submissive in a scene.
Practitioners of puppy play develop a deep emotional connection between the owner/master and the submissive/pet, or even with the pack themselves. The Dom may demand unconditional love but may also train their pets to be more conscious and empathic. This method helps the sub in more ways than one to feel emotionally attached in the relationship. Dom’s are responsible for training their pup, rewarding them when they behave and punishing them when they misbehave.
People who associate themselves with the Puppy Play community may display their interest or relationship within the group in different ways. This may include donning fetish clothing at events or parties. It also commonly leads to local communities establishing alternative kinship orders called packs, which are molded after dogs or wolf packs alike.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Puppy play does not come with any inherent risks.
- The types of standard BDSM activities that are engaged in while performing a Puppy Play scene or relationship can vary.
- Some people do not include any BDSM or corporal punishment and simply enjoy acting like a puppy might.
- If any bondage, kenneling, or caging is done care should be taken to not restrict movement or blood flow.
- If any impact or corporal punishments are included to discipline bad dogs, make sure to read up on potential risks.
Related Practices and Fetishes
Pony Play, similar to Puppy Play, is based on enacting horses instead of canines. Furries are fetishists who dress up as various animals either through elaborate costumes or accessories based on that animal.