What is Pubic Hair?
Pubic hair is referred to as hair growth around the pelvic bone and the upper thighs. Both men and women experience this growth of hair during puberty when sex hormones evolve.
The existence or lack of pubic hair can be a fetish for some and riding them is used in various aspects of BDSM and pain play.
During pre-Victorian Britain of the 18th century, the upper class frequently collects pubic hair from their lovers as souvenirs. The curly strands were worn in men’s hats as an indication of power or exchanged between lovers as a token of affection.
In the 1940s, in an attempt to combat various STI, public women shaved their pubic hair. To hide their shaved pubes, they wore merkins, known as a pubic wig, a requirement for their line of work.
In ancient India, the removal of pubic hair can be traced back to 4000-3000 BC. Ethnologist F. Fawcett wrote in 1901 that he had observed that from the Hindu Nair caste, pubic hair removal around the vulva was a custom of women.
Pubic hair is fetishized by many. Many fetishize sculpting or trimming it into certain styles or its entire removal. Some people fetishize the shaving of it and the look of a fully naked vagina or penis. In BDMS, pubic hair removal can be used for humiliation or pain. Pulling, burning, or using it in bondage (if long enough) is common. A Dom could humiliate a submissive for having too much of it, not shaving for them, or shaving it all off depending on the dynamic.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Shaving, waxing, and trimming pubic hair is now acceptable and vanilla.
- In recent years, the more natural full pubic hair has come back into fashion.
- Many people attribute the various ways people wear their pubic hair to what is popular in pornography at the time.
- If proper grooming and hygiene are maintained there is little risk in involving pubic hair in sexual play or fetishizing it.
- Any pulling or removal of hair should be done with consent and proper aftercare a scene.
Related Practices and Fetishes
Pubephilia is a fetish defined by being sexually aroused from either the sight or the thought of pubic hair. Pubephiles prefer thick pubic hair and usually look for sexual partners that maintain their pubic hair instead of waxing or shaving it off. Some pubephiles have a habit of collecting pubic hair from public bathrooms.