What is a “Nipple Pump”?
A nipple pump is a manual or machine-assisted pump used to apply suction to the nipple. It can be used on any gender and is used in vanilla and BDSM scenes. Most machines allow for varying intensities of suction and intensity.
The nipples are highly sensitive to stimulation and one of the most commonly touched erogenous zones. Pumps, like clamps, apply pressure to the nipple and areola. This pressure and suction can be ongoing throughout a scene or applied temporarily. Either way, blood is pulled into the nipple itself, increasing sensation, and making it more prone to pain or pleasure.
Nipple pumps were adapted from those used for breastfeeding. They come in one of three different configurations:
- Silicone or Suckers – these are suction cups that one squeezes prior to placing it over the nipple. Upon release, the nipple is suctioned into the device and kept in place.
- Manual – these pumps are made of plastic or glass and give the users more control over the amount of suction and sensation. Once the correct air pressure has been reached, they are detached from the hose and left on the wearer.
- Mechanical – mechanical pumps use an electric motor to suck the air out of the attached tube. This can be ongoing like a breast milk pump or simply to expedite the suctioning process.
Nipple pumps can be used in BDSM for both pleasure and pain. Many people find pleasure in painful play on their nipples. Doms can enjoy the sensation and response nipple play can elicit from their subs. Increasing the sensitivity of the nipples with pumping can amplify pleasure or pain during punishment.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Whether manually or electrically powered, the nipple pumps suction power or strength can be varied from low to high.
- The preference for pressure, pleasure, and pain is up to the Dom or sub.
- If the pressure is too high it can cause skin breakage, bruising, or damage to blood vessels.
- If bleeding or extreme pain occurs, pressure should be released immediately and pumps removed.
Related Practices & Fetishes
Nipple clamps are a more advanced form of nipple torture device. Nipples can also be integrated into bondage with thin ropes, mimicking the feeling of a nipple pump or clamp.