What is “Neck Corset”?
A neck corset is a type of collar used for posture training. Depending on the kind of neck corset, if it is restrictive enough it can also be part of breath play.
The use of corsets has been part of the history of women’s fashion since the 16th century. Corsets were created to train, hold, and mold a woman’s torso into a shape that accentuates a small waist. There were also corsets designed for medical reasons. Men have also been known to wear corsets.
It seems that posture and reshaping have likewise been part of the determinants of beauty. Conditioning the body to assume a specific position and stature was used by society as standards for what was considered aesthetically appealing about women’s bodies.
BDSM has adapted the use of corsets as restraining equipment. The neck corset is worn by both male and female players. Neck corsets can be made with thin or thick material. They share many of the same aspects of regular corsets including boning, materials, lacing, and their restrictive nature.
Neck Corsets can be worn by Doms or subs, but are most typically associated with the latter. Being forced to maintain a particular posture is part of obedience training and can be humiliating to the sub. Dom’s may find wearing a neck corset visually appealing.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Wearing the neck corset is done mainly to limit the movement of the wearer’s head.
- It can be attached to other restraints such as a leash or a rope.
- To enable the attachment of the neck corset to other types of restraints, D-rings are fastened to the binds and the corset.
- Outside of a neck corset being too tight and restricting breathing, there are few risks associated.
- Prolonged wear may cause muscle strain or discomfort.
- If a corset is jerked or other unexpected motions occur, it may cause muscle or tissue damage.
- If a wearer becomes claustrophobic or light-headed, the neck corset should be removed immediately.
Related Practices & Fetishes
Posture collars serve a similar function as neck corsets and are often interchangeable. Collars, in general, are one of the most common accessories associated with BDSM and fetish culture.