What are “Medical Restraints”?
Medical restraints can refer to a number of different devices used to restrict patients’ movements. The most common ones used are large velcro straps, padded cuffs, and straight jackets. Due to their restrictive nature, their use in BDSM is a natural fit, in general, and in medical fetish scenes or scenarios.
Medical restraints were invented to enforce better and more consistent control over patients. They are used on those who could potentially harm themselves or others when left free to move. These could be patients suffering from mental health issues, injured criminals, or those under heavy pain killers that may not have the full mental capacity to see they may harm themselves.
Many types of medical restraints can and have been adapted for use in BDSM and fetish play. Common restraints that can be seen in dungeons or in play are:
- Straight Jackets – these encase and restrict the arms and torso. Many come with attachments that can further restrict movement when combined with furniture.
- Cuffs – medical cuffs are usually soft and padded so as not to injure the wearer. They are no less effective, however, and serve the same purpose. They are generally more comfortable and some people prefer them.
- Straps or Belts – these are generally used in conjunction with chairs, tables, beds, or wheelchairs. They can be made of velcro or come with a manual or buckle fastener. These can be used on the torso, head, or any limb depending on the kind of restraint needed.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Medical restraints are used in BDSM to enact different types of medical play.
- The subs can be made to wear the medical restraint to keep them suspended in a singular location or position. It likewise keeps them from physically moving or fighting back when different or more extreme forms of physical stimulation are performed on them.
- In medical fetish scenes, subs are usually the ones who take on the role of the patient. Meanwhile, the Dom is the one who takes on the role of a doctor or health practitioner. The Dom handles most of the equipment as well.
- At times, medical restraints are worn as a form of punishment.
- When partners choose to use medical restraints, it is important that they understand and know how to operate different types of binds. Otherwise, the sub could be stuck wearing the restraint for too long or may even attain unwanted injury.
Related Practices & Fetishes
Medical fetish is a type of paraphilia characterized by sensual interest in medical procedures, enacting a doctor or patient role, and having different procedures be enacted on them.