What is a “Ice Play”?
Ice play is a type of temperature or sensation play that makes use of ice to arouse the body. Here, a piece of ice is rolled over the skin and on different parts of the body of the recipient.
As with all other forms of temperature play, ice play has a considerable effect on the body. The body reacts to different temperature levels. The higher and lower temperature exposed to the skin, the more likely it will trigger adrenaline-inducing physiological responses.
When this happens, blood flow is increased, and the nerve endings in various sensitive areas of the body likewise become more sensitive and susceptible to touch.
Rubbing ice on bare skin makes the body shiver and arouses the neuroreceptors found in the body. The sensation heightens the responses of the person at the receiving end and adds an extra “flavor” to the sexual experience. Activating other sensory responses during foreplay and sex makes the participants more aware of every physical touch and advance done to them by their partner.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Playing with temperature is both exciting and risky.
- Safewords and consent should serve as the gateway to performing ice play to a submissive partner.
- If the sub has even the least bit of doubt or negative reaction to the addition of cold sensations in the bedroom, it would be best to postpone the act and perform it at a time when the sub finally feels prepared to do ice play.
- Ice play is likewise not advisable to be done on a sub with extra sensitivity to cold temperature.
- Some skin allergies are triggered by a sudden drop in temperature, and it could lead to the skin breaking out in hives or exhibiting a reddish hue.
- When not done with precaution, ice play poses the risk of frostbite and hypothermia.
- As such, mixing the cold sensation induced by the ice using the heat of the mouth and tongue helps.
- Sucking on the skin exposed to ice provides a good balance of heat and cold that can potentially provide pleasurable sensations to the sub.
- A riskier version of ice play involves inserting the ice cube inside the anus or vagina.
- This type of ice play is dangerous because sharp edges can form once the ice begins to melt.
- The sharp edges can potentially tear the soft tissues inside the reproductive orifices. As such, think twice before applying this extreme type if ice play.
Related Practices & Fetishes
Contrapolar stimulation is a sexual practice in BDSM characterized by inflicting both pleasurable and painful stimulation on one’s partner. The level of pain applied to the receiver is at a level where it becomes synonymous with pleasurable stimulation that often leads to increased sexual arousal.