What is “Goth”?
In popular culture, Goth is a name for an individual who loves and prefers fashion statements and items that are characterized as uncanny and “dark”.
However, in the world of BDSM, Goth (or Fetish Goth) is identified as a subculture that mainly represents those who prefer and enjoy wearing clothes and gear designed for BDSM. Goths may also find interest in any fetish or object that is fetish-related.
Fetish goths tend to share common interests such as songs with sexual themes or an affinity to certain types of fetishes. Fetish goths often exude comfort and confidence in their own sexuality, a trait that adds to the eccentric nature of this particular subculture.
The way fetish goths incorporate BDSM gear and edgy/kinky clothing into their daily outerwear makes them stand out, even in a fetish and kink crowd. Much like the persona associated with goths in common culture, they are often associated with practices and ideas that are generally branded as dark, evil, or even hostile.
A common assumption amongst laypeople is that individuals who wear fetish clothes and gear in their everyday life are willing to be randomly approached or touched. This is not the case.
In truth, not all fetish goths are interested in participating in actual BDSM acts or harbor any paraphilias. Some fetish goths are only interested in the aesthetical aspect of BDSM and fetish, and they wear BDSM gear as a way to represent their distinct fashion sense.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
Wearing BDSM gear as part of one’s day-to-day attire can be pretty dangerous for reasons such as:
- There are BDSM fashions that, when worn in public, may pose certain risks to the wearer. An example of this would be wearing corsets when the weather is hot. Corsets are known to be worn tightly around the waist and can, therefore, suffocate the wearer when it is donned for extended periods of time.
- Some laypeople may overstep boundaries, and assume that people who wear fetish gear either like being touched or have unusual sexual kinks. Such assumptions make fetish goths more prone to harassment in public places.
- Chains can get caught in hooks and handles when not worn properly.
- Some fetish goths who wear leashes out on the streets. Not all people may be open to the idea of encountering a couple where one of the partners is being led on using a leash.
- Since fetish and kink is still considered taboo in many areas of the world and portraying an outward appearance that is reminiscent of sexual of fetishist activities may make some extremely uncomfortable (to the point of acting out violent acts), it is always wise to be aware of one’s surroundings and keep their safety in the highest concern.
Related Practices & Fetishes
Vampirism is a term used to identify a sexual lifestyle that is mainly fueled by one’s interest in all things related to vampires or being a vampire. This paraphilic condition may involve any or a combination of the following behavior and preferences: blood-letting, blood consumption, adopting a nocturnal sleeping pattern and lifestyle, wearing dark garments, and performing different types of BDSM play.