What is Forniphilia?
Forniphilia is the art or practice of making or becoming human furniture. Often used in modern art and in pornography, forniphilia is the act in which the submissive’s body becomes furniture. It can be as simple as kneeling down or being on all fours as a seat or table, and as extreme as being in bondage for hours as a furniture piece.
The term ‘forniphilia’ is coined by erotic performance artist Jeff Gord. The submissive’s body is often used as a chair, footstool, table, cabinet, lamp, and more. It often involves some level of bondage using ties and restraints. As a form of bondage, forniphilia usually involves the submissive being bound tightly and expected to stay in the same position for a prolonged period of time.
Forniphilia, like most BDSM fetishes, is about control and submission. The erotic pleasures felt by submissives may come from the feeling of losing control and/or being objectified. Some like the feeling of being helpless and helpful at the same time. The degradation and humiliation of being viewed not even as humans make some submissive happy, and in some cases turned on.
The Master/Mistress may experience enjoyment when they use human furniture. The feeling of having control over someone and keep their body in an awkward position for an extended period of time even if it hurts them makes the Master/Mistress experience happiness.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Though bondage is popular among those who engage in forniphilia, simple forms of the practice do not need any special equipment. The submissive can simply stand on all fours and start pretending to be a table.
- For a more painfully enjoyable experience, the submissive can squat and let the Master/Mistress sit on their lap.
- Like other forms of BDSM, forniphilia should be done with the consent of all parties.
- The Master/Mistress and the submissive should set terms and limits of their actions.
- Forniphilia may also cause or aggravate injuries and health concerns. As such, there should be an agreed safeword if the submissive wants to stop the act.
- There are times when forniphilia involves gags. In these instances, it is proper to have a safety action that can immediately stop the act.
- The Master/Mistress is responsible for keeping the human furniture safe.
- The human furniture must not be left unattended.
- Any signs of distress and discomfort should end the act immediately.
- Submissive that are gagged or bound should be released immediately when distressed and hurt.
- Be sure to have safety shears nearby.
- The safety and well-being of the submissive should be frequently checked.
- The main concerns for an extreme and long term forniphilia are circulation, respiration and orthopedic.
- The bondage should be properly made as to not prevent circulation.
- The position of the submissive should allow respiration and does not put too much strain on muscles and bones.
Related Practices & Fetishes
Forniphilia is a practice that can be enjoyed in tandem with other BDSM fetishes. A human can take the form of furniture in a pervertible act. Nyotaimori is the act of a female being used as a serving vessel for sushi.