What is “Bullwhip”?
A bullwhip is a traditional style whip with a stiff handle and a long woven leather tail. It is used by Doms to punish their subs. Using a bullwhip properly takes much practice and can cause lots of physical damage if not used properly.
Bull Whips in History & Culture
Bullwhips were originally used as a tool for pasturing sheep. It helped shepherds control the movement and distance of their livestock. Since the bullwhip is long and very flexible, it extends to far distances. It also leaves a loud, cracking sound when it hits solid ground or wall.
Whips were very much sensationalized and portrayed in popular cultures, like movies such as Raiders of the Lost Ark. During the Roman Empire, bullwhips became a symbol of power and authority. It also reinforced the power of people in position and those of higher social status.
Bullwhips, as with many other types of whips, have long been a part of BDSM culture. They are a popular tool for Dominants to use on submissives as a punishment. Bullwhips entered the public’s eye as a BDSM icon through the photography of Robert Mapplethorpe.
Dos, Don’ts & Tips
- Using a bullwhip during play can be exceedingly dangerous. As the whip is used the end of the leather weave snaps in the air at an extreme rate of speed.
- The loud clap you hear when one uses a bullwhip is caused by that strand breaking the sound barrier.
- If one is not properly trained or practiced in using a bullwhip, it can cause injury to both the user and the one being whipped.
- Injuries can range from lacerations, internal bleeding or organ damage, or the potential loss of an eye.
- One should never use a whip on another person without training, consent, and slowly working up the speed and intensity of the whipping.
- Aftercare is very important once the Dom is done using the whip.
- Applying the right kind of first aid on the areas of the sub’s body where the bull whip landed keeps the wounds and bruises from worsening.
- Cold compresses, a blanket, warm compress, and soothing ointments to help ease the pain are among the types of treatment that can be applied to the whipped area on the skin.
Related Practices & Fetishes
Many types of BDSM furniture are often used during a whipping session. These can be crosses like St. Andrews, A-Frames, or X Frames, stocks, and whipping posts. Pain sluts often prefer bullwhips and caning over many other punishments.